Finally, a recipe where spinach is the star! It just doesn’t sound exciting though, does it? “Let’s have some lovely spinach for dinner tonight, dear.” Oh, well! If Popeye never manged to make spinach sound exciting I have no chance. I will leave this recipe around for when that bag of spinach you bought is starting to look a bit sad and you haven’t thought of a use for it yet.
I declared this as a side dish for two and the amounts to cook would work out as a full side dish for two but for those of you with the delicate tummies, like me, be careful… A full load of spinach (or any of the darker greens) can be a bit hard on the digestion. For me personally, I find it best to divide the recipe again into four or even another time and make it for six to get a small enough ‘dose’ for my dodgy intestines to cope with. If you have an iron stomach however, go ahead for the full amount! It’s a fabulous recipe packed with healthy stuff for muscles just like Popeye!
Spinach with Bacon and Toasted Pine Nuts
- 200 g spinach (7oz)
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp bacon fat (lard or duck fat are also fine)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Heat the bacon fat in a medium size frying pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the bacon to how you like it (I like my bacon quite crispy but I know it's not for everyone).
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and stir for about 3 mins.
- Finally add the spinach and toasted pine nuts.
- Stir often and cook till the spinach starts to wilt, at about 5 mins.