This recipe was originally a dish called Briam which hails from Greece and includes a topping of cheese. However the paleo diet does not actually include cheese so here we have a veggie bake. If you are more keto or paleo template than strict paleo then add 1/4 cup of cheese back in. Sprinkle it over the top around 5 mins before the end of the cooking time.
The veggie mix itself is very flexible so use what you have carrots, cauliflower and aubergines all work equally as well.
Mixed Veggie Bake
- 235 g fennel (1 medium)
- 150 g broccoli (1 medium head)
- 200 g courgette/zucchini (2 medium)
- 120 g red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 370 g tomatoes (3 medium)
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 60 ml chicken stock (1/4 cup), use vegetable stock for vegetarian
- 60 ml olive oil (1/4 cup)
- Preheat fan-assisted oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F).
- Roughly chop the fennel, broccoli, courgette and bell pepper to about the same size. Don't cut them too small.
- In a food processor or blender mix the tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, parsley, basil, salt, black pepper, chicken stock and olive oil.
- Mix all the vegetables and the liquid together in a large casserole dish.
- Cook for 1 hour stirring half way through.