I Recommend for: Tomato and Red Pepper Curry
This is a paleo, whole30 dish for use as a side or for meatless main. I don’t really make vegetarian recipes, I am too much of a carnivore, but this one comes close. To make it entirely vegetarian, swap out the lard with another mild flavoured vegetarian-friendly oil or fat. I think avocado oil would work quite well or even coconut oil, however, it might alter the flavour a little.
Keto or Atkins’ in Maintenance phase could use it as a side by dividing it into four portions. It would give around 5.4g of net carbs. I think this is a little high for a small side dish for either diet, so I omitted from both categories; but, if you have that many spare carbs coming up to dinner time, go right ahead.
To go with this, I find it best to choose a more unspiced/unherbed main. My first recommendation is Juicy-licious Pork Roast, the juices from the pork mix with the curry on your plate and makes it taste even more delicious. My second recommendation would be Salted, Foil Baked Salmon Fillet; it has the same cooking temperature and a similar time to the Tomato and Red Bell Pepper Curry. Take the salmon out of the fridge, turn on the oven. Use the oven’s warming up time make up the tomato and red pepper curry, then pop it in when the oven is ready. Straight away wrap up the salmon, you should be all done within five minutes, at which point you can pop it in the oven next to the curry. Both dishes will be cooked at the same time and ready to serve.
And Here It Is: Tomato and Red Pepper Curry
Tomato and Red Pepper Curry
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, halved (7oz)
- 200 g red bell pepper, diced (7oz)
- 120 g fennel, finely chopped (4.2oz of 1/2 a medium fennel)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lard
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1.5 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp dried ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dried ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
In the oven
- Preheat a fan-assisted oven to 200 deg C (or 400 deg F).
- Mix the cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, fennel and olive oil in a casserole dish.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins, stirring half way through.
On the Hob
- About 20 mins through oven cooking, heat the lard on the hob in a frying pan on a medium-high heat.
- Add the crushed garlic cloves, tomato puree, grated fresh ginger to the frying pan and stir for 3 mins.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, coriander, salt and black pepper and stir for another 2 mins.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven. Stir the spice mix in with the tomato, fennel and bell pepper and place the casserole dish back into the oven.
- Bake for a further 10 mins.