This recipe doubles up as both a sauce and a soup. The sauce is thick and concentrated but if you prefer it to be more liquid just add in 1/2 cup or 120 mls of water. For use as as soup add 1 cup. One portion is most suited to 4 people when used as both a sauce and a soup making calorie content for one person at around 200kcal while the carbs are around 6-7 carbs for one person.
Simple Creamy Mushroom Sauce or Soup
- 75 g mushrooms (1 cup)
- 115 g fennel (1/2 of a medium one)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 ml coconut cream (1 cup)
Choose only one
- 1 beef stock cube to use as a sauce OR
- 240 ml beef stock (1 cup) to use as a soup
- Finely chop the fennel. (I whiz it through the food processor.)Place the fennel on a plate and microwave on full for 2 mins to soften it.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the fennel until it starts to brown.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until they are soft.
- Add the beef stock cube and the coconut cream and stir in.
- Turn the heat down to low until the sauce is barely simmering and leave for a further 20 mins.
- Divide the mushroom sauce into 2 halves. Puree one half with a food processor or hand held blender and then mix the two halves back together again.