A Little About The Recipe: Paleo Simple Cabbage Wheels
Paleo Simple Cabbage Wheels is a simple no-fuss side dish. We always have a half severed cabbage wrapped with cling film somewhere in the fridge, and the cabbage lasts such a long time in the fridge we don’t have to overdose on cabbage to finish it.
Cabbage Wheels will work any colour of cabbage, so if you want to go all out, you can colour coordinate it with your main meal. The blackened bits are super tasty by the way, so don’t think the cabbage is overdone when you pull it out of the oven.
As well as Courgette Noodles/Zoodles I like Cabbage Wheels as an alternative to pasta. I use this at the base of the plate and layer a saucy meat dish on top.
On a side note, the original word for cabbage in England was ‘caboches‘, and, in Malta, the word for a cabbage is ‘kabocca’. Pretty close huh!
I Recommend This for: Paleo Simple Cabbage Wheels
This is an easy paleo side dish. Great beneath Paleo Chicken Butter Curry or, if you are more paleo-ish, under Tuscan Chicken. Both of these recommendations are cooked on the hob, which means no oven temp clash, and, the garlic powder on the cabbage, complements the flavours in either dish.
The net carbs for this is 7.4g, and for a few different reasons, I placed this just out of the reach of keto. But, I was a little hesitant to do so, so if you feel that it is acceptable as a keto dieter, include it as you wish. For Atkins’ Maintenance, this is good to pair with Beef Stroganoff or Slow Roasted Boneless Lamb Shoulder with Dried Rosemary and Garlic – just use the juices from the lamb to make a tasty gravy.
Paleo Simple Cabbage Wheels
- 4 x 100g cabbage slices (about 1.5cm or 1/2 inch thick each)
- 4 pinches salt
- 4 pinches black pepper
- 4 pinches garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat a fan-assisted oven to 190 deg C (350 deg F).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Use a pastry brush and use a little of the olive oil to grease the baking paper.
- Lay the cabbage slices on top of the greased baking paper.
- Use the pastry brush to brush the rest of the olive oil over the top of the cabbage slices.
- Sprinkle pinches of the salt, black pepper and garlic powder on each cabbage slice.
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins.