Paleo Chicken Butter Curry
A version of the classic Indian curry. Chicken in a thick creamy sauce with an array of tasty spices.
- 1 kg chicken breast (2.2lb)
- 1 medium fennel
- 3 medium bell peppers (any colours you like)
- 400 g tinned tomatoes (14oz tin)
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp creamed coconut
- 2 tbsp lard (use butter if you want)
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger, grated (1 inch)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp dried ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of back pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder this is optional, omit it if you hate the heat
- 125 ml coconut cream (1/2 cup)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp dried ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp dried cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
- Mix together all the marinade spices and the coconut cream and the chicken pieces in a marinating bag or covered bowl.
- Leave in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Finely chop the fennel and slice the bell peppers.
- Melt the fat in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the fennel and the bell peppers and fry until soft.
- Add the grated ginger and garlic and fry for about 2 mins.
- Add the remaining garam masala, ground coriander, salt and black pepper and the chilli powder if you choose to use it, fry for 1 min while stirring.
- Add the chicken pieces with the marinade into the pan and cook for 10 mins.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stir in.
- Turn the heat to medium low and leave to simmer for 20 mins.
- The chicken should be thoroughly cooked by this time but check the juices run clear to make sure. If it needs it, cook for longer. If cooked remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the creamed coconut until it's fully dissolved.
Net Carbs: 8.4g
Serving: 356gCalories: 447kcalCarbohydrates: 12.9gProtein: 54gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 422mgPotassium: 931mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 2528IUVitamin C: 112mgCalcium: 860mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!