If, as I discovered from my husband, you are thinking this will taste like mashed potato put the thought aside. This is cauliflower and it will taste like cauliflower. Unfortunately, if you don’t like cauliflower you won’t like it, if you do then you have something new to pour your gravy on!
Mashed Cauliflower, Bacon and Spring Onion
- 560 g cauliflower (1 medium head)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 tsp lard
- Boil the cauliflower for about 20 mins until very soft then drain the water and either mash the cauliflower or whizz it through the food processor, whichever is easiest, but make sure the cauliflower is nice and smooth.
- While the cauliflower is boiling. Melt the lard in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the bacon until its crispy, remove and set aside. When it's cool enough cut into small pieces.
- Add the sliced spring onion and the garlic to the pan and fry until soft.
- Add the cooked cauliflower and bacon to the pan and stir for 5 mins.