A Little About The Recipe: Low Carb Chicken Mayo Sandwiches
Low Carb Chicken Mayo Sandwiches, when one hails from Yorkshire in the north of England, is really a Low Carb Chicken Mayo Butties. Butty being the proper term for one’s sandwich ‘cos sandwich just sounds dead posh and unnatural. And, it’s never just a butty. It’s a ‘something’ butty. Fish butty, sausage butty, bacon butty, chicken mayo butty, whatever is in it must be included in the name. There is no such thing as ‘just’ a butty. So, let’s carry on with the more natural-sounding and far tastier sounding butty.
Low Carb Chicken Mayo Butties go together like… a chicken mayo butty! It’s a toss-up between bacon butties, sausage butties and chicken mayo butties. So which butty is the best? It’s impossible to answer.
Cooking The Chicken For The Sandwiches
You could, of course, fry or bake the chicken. Boiling it keeps that little bit extra liquid in it to keep it nicely soft, while boiling it in stock seals in a little more flavour. Does chicken mayo need more flavour? Well, no, but what’s the point of posting a recipe if you can’t go all out with it? Although, boiling is a super easy, hassle-free and almost impossible-to-mess-up way of cooking chicken.
In the USA, you have the wonderful diet-friendly Thrive Market with this paleo compliant chicken stock. For the make-your-own kind of person, follow this recipe for bone broth which works just as well for boiling the chicken – just leave yourself tons of time to make it. The last suggestion for those wondering what to do about the chicken stock problem is to leave the chicken stock out altogether. Simmer the chicken in plain salted water instead.
Compliant Mayonnaise or With a Bit of Leeway Instead
I use my own easy homemade mayonnaise, but having been on the paleo diet for 6 years and counting now, my digestive issues have improved enough to allow a little leeway. But, if you are eating strict paleo, choose this recipe straight from the source instead. It uses allowed mustard powder over the not-quite-paleo Dijon mustard that mine does.
Veggies In or Veggies Out?
While everyone knows it’s entirely possible to have a chicken mayo butty without any additional veggies, I heartily recommend leaving them in. They add crunch and flavour, and extra vitamins without many carbs will never go amiss on any weight loss diet.
I Recommend This For Low Carb Chicken Mayo Sandwiches
While all the ingredients are whole30, this is a sandwich. Sandwiches are bread replacements and, as such, are not permitted on a whole30 month. Try the plainer, simpler, and cheaper Pan Fried Chicken Thighs with Easy Homemade Mayonnaise instead.
Beware of the mayonnaise and chicken stock you are using. See the suggestions above for help with that.
This is an entire sandwich, and so it does very well on its own, but where’s the fun in stopping there?
I recommend adding Paleo Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup to your table as well. It has many of the ingredients used in the low carb chicken mayo sandwiches, like coconut cream and stock but tastes completely different. If you get all these ingredients out of the fridge for one, then why not the other. Start the soup first, and when it comes time to simmer on the hob, use two rings and add the chicken to boil as well. That way, both are done at the same time, although obviously not in the same pot. Make use of the oven you already warmed up cooking the butternut squash and roast up some Paleo Curry Tinted Parsnip Chips as a bit more finger food. They are an extra flourish and, oh, yummy! If you feel more is needed, then use a third hob ring some Keto Skillet Flatbread.
This recipe is very good for keto, the percentages of fat to protein and the low level of carbs makes it very easy to plan the day around.
|For Women||For Men|
|19.2g net carbs||23.4g net carbs|
|94g protein||125g protein|
|114g fat||151g fat|
|1504 kcal||1975 kcal|
To make this day I chose:
- Keto Tuna Mayo Filled Avocado
- 1 x bacon rasher
- Low Carb Chicken Mayo Sandwich
For men, you guys get:
- 1 extra Low Carb Mayo Sandwich (for a total of 2 for the whole day)
- 2x Paleo Cloud Bread
- 2x bacon rashers
The bacon is done under the grill or in the microwave without any extra fat.
The total carbohydrates for one low carb chicken mayo sandwich are only 3.3g. The fat content is only 2g higher than the protein content. For an Aktins’ Diet Revolution day of dieting, I would start my day with the classic 2 bacon rashers and 2 fried egg breakfast -there’s a reason it’s a classic! Follow this with the Low Carb Chicken Mayo Sandwich for lunch. Then, later, indulge yourself in the Low Carb Paleo Sea Bream Stuffed with Tomatoes and Shallots and with a side of Fried Cabbage with Crispy Bacon. This example day will be below 23g total carbs, have 108g of protein over 71g of fat and cost 1183kcal. That leaves more than enough space for a great tasting snack, or two, of your choice along with the weight loss!
And Here It Is: Low Carb Chicken Mayo Sandwiches
Low Carb Chicken Mayo Sandwiches
- 2 x 120g chicken breast (2 x medium-sized)
- 450 ml chicken stock (2 cups)
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise (preferred or easy homemade mayonnaise)
Paleo Cloud Bread
- 6 medium egg
- 6 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tsp ghee
Putting it all together
- 3 small leaves iceberg lettuce (15g total)
- 12 thin slices tomato (180g total)
- 12 thin slices cucumber (90g total)
- Heat the stock in a medium size cooking pot on the highest hob heat (I use number 9).
- When the stock is boiling, add the chicken, the stock should just cover the breasts.
- Cover and boil for 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked remove from the heat. Discard the stock.
- Shred the chicken – either whiz it in a food processor or use a knife and fork.
- Add the mayonnaise and mix.
Paleo Cloud Bread
- Preheat the oven to 175°C or 350°F.
- Cover your largest baking tin with baking paper.
- Use a pastry brush and brush the ghee over the whole of the baking paper.
- In two bowls separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the coconut cream to the egg yolks.
- Use a spatula and fold the egg yolk mix into the egg white.
- Immediately pour the whole mixture onto the baking tray and use the spatula to spread it into a large thin layer.
- Immediately place the baking tray into the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool a little.
- Using a pair of scissors, cut the cloud bread into 12 equal pieces.
Putting it all together
- For each sandwich, take 2 pieces of cloud bread, 2 loaded tbsp of the chicken mayonnaise, ½ of one lettuce leaf, shredded, 2 slices of tomato and 2 slices of cucumber.
- The ingredients should be divided evenly enough to make 6 sandwiches in total.