Low Carb Braising Steak in Onion Mustard Sauce
A low carb main dish of slow-cooked braising steak with a warm onion, mustard sauce.
- 2 250g braising steak
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp lard
- 240 mls beef stock (1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
- ½ tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp dried mustard powder
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- pinches salt
- pinches black pepper
- Preheat a fan-assisted oven to 160° C (or 320° F).
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper onto the braising steaks and rub into both sides.
- Melt the fat in a medium frying pan on a high heat (I use number 8). Sear the steaks on each side until they are browned, 30 seconds to a minute on each side.
- Remove the steaks from the frying pan and place them into the casserole dish.
- Reduce the frying pan heat to medium (I use number 6).
- Dice the onion and fry till translucent, about 5 minutes. Then, add the crushed garlic clove and fry for one more minute.
- Add all the contents of the frying pan into the casserole dish with the steaks.
- Add the beef stock to the frying pan, scrape around the pan to collect all the brown bits and pour the stock into the casserole dish.
- Add the tomato puree, mustard powder and bay leaf to the casserole dish and stir.
- Cover the dish and bake in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove the steaks from the casserole and dish, wrap in aluminium foil and set aside.
- Pour the gravy from the casserole dish into a frying pan and add the coconut cream, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Simmer the gravy on a medium heat (I use number 5) for 10 minutes, keep stirring.
- Serve the steaks with the gravy poured over the top.
Net Carbs: 7.1g
Serving: 446gCalories: 530kcalCarbohydrates: 8.4gProtein: 55gFat: 31gSaturated Fat: 14gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 476mgPotassium: 1108mgFiber: 1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 44IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 46mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!