Back in the long distant past of this recipe I think the original credit goes to a very nice person on the allrecipes.com website. Quite who, I really cannot remember, apologies to the said random person.
When I first started to make Fried Cabbage with Crispy Bacon I didn’t eat paleo and it was a little bit different back then. Since I turned to paleo eating it’s been poked and prodded and paleo-ed, possibly beyond recognition. But I still give credit where credit is due, mainly because I am a rather over-sensitive soul and don’t want some random person sending a swear-mail at me across the internet.
The fried cabbage and crispy bacon was a really great tasting side dish with easy to get ingredients now it’s healthy and paleo-ish really great tasting side dish as well.
I don’t want to claim it is completely paleo because of the ‘iffiness’ of the paleo status of bacon. Some people claim bacon is paleo some people swear otherwise. Personally, I eat bacon because I love it but I follow a paleo-ish paleo diet over a truly strict one. I don’t want to tempt others who don’t so I haven’t labelled it as paleo only paleo-ish.
If, like me you love the bacon, you gotta try this recipe!
Fried Cabbage with Crispy Bacon
- 300 g cabbage (10oz)
- 115 g fennel (4oz or 1/2 a medium fennel)
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Melt the lard in a large frying pan on a medium high heat.
- Fry the bacon till crispy, remove and set aside.
- Finely chop the fennel and add it to the pan and fry till soft, about 15 mins.
- Roughly chop the cabbage.
- Add the cabbage, garlic, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and sweet paprika to the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Chop the bacon up small. Re-add the bacon to the frying pan and stir in.
- Simmer on a low heat medium heat for 30 mins stirring often.Add more lard if the cabbage starts to stick.
- Make sure the cabbage is cooked to soft before serving,