This tasted great! Like really, really great! Not that I was expecting it to taste bad but I didn’t think it would be so perfect on the first try. Well, it was and probably the best beef stroganoff I have ever eaten. Totally blowing my own trumpet but hey who else is going to blow it? Now the minus points or just one. It carries a hefty amount of calories for one meal and not even an all in one meal at that. Does that mean you shouldn’t try it? No! You would miss out on total deliciousness and would that be utter deprivation… Just make it an occasional meal and have lighter meals for the rest of the day. Problem solved!
- 400 g sirloin steak, cut into strips (14oz)
- 1 fennel, finely chopped (I whizzed it through the food processor)
- 150 g mushrooms, sliced (about 1.5 cups)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 300 ml coconut cream (1 and 1/4 cups)
- 2 tbsp lard
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp mustard powder
- Melt the lard in a large frying pan over a medium high heat.
- Cook the strips 1 minute on each side or until just cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium.
- Fry the fennel until soft and slightly browned.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms.
- Turn the heat down to low.
- Add the coconut cream, beef stock cube, white vinegar, salt, black pepper, and dry mustard.