With my parents visiting lately, my husband and I managed some days off together! It’s a rare thing believe me, but twice a year my parents come across to Malta, and we try to get days off together and take the kids out as we much as we can.
We went to the beach a few times, always a hit with young kids and something my daughter prefers as she gets to make sandcastles. Another gem we discovered was a place called Ta’ Qali. Actually, we rediscovered it as we had been before but hadn’t been quite so impressed the last time and as such had found other places to go. This time things had been revamped, and we were a lot more impressed.
Ta’ Qali, itself, is a piece of land in Malta, sectioned off into various parts with different functions. There is a formal garden, a small wood, a petting zoo, and a dog park, among other things. We went there for the kids’ adventure park, and it is a really great adventure park. There are different areas for different ages and different things to do, like climbing or swinging or slides. Dotted around the adventure park, they had made several small water features. These were small and very shallow, making them totally safe for young children. So much fun for my kids, especially my water-loving little boy of three. Also, highly suitable for such a hot country as Malta. Whether by accident or design each play area or water spot had a handy tree, fully grown and with a sit down shady spot beneath it perfect for hot and sweaty parents.
Back at home, a salad was just the thing. This one makes full use of my recent purchase of a jar of Dijon mustard as well as the Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette of my last post. If you do not want a salad, then I have to say the chicken by itself tastes great, and you could use it as a main with a completely different side dish.
Mustard Chicken and Cucumber Salad
- 800 g chicken breast (approx 1.5lb)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large cucumber (300g)
- 1 medium apple (granny smiths)
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 50 g toasted pine nuts (approx 1.5oz)
- 1 portion Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette
- Preheat a fan-assisted oven to 200 deg C.
- Prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the salt black pepper, Dijon mustard and olive oil.
- If the chicken breasts are too thick, beat them to about 2-3 cm thickness (between 1 and 1.5 inches).
- Dip the chicken into the mixture. Make sure both sides are covered.
- Place the chicken onto the baking paper and pour any excess mixture over the top.
- Bake for 20 mins till juices run clear.
- While the chicken is cooking make the salad.
- Slice the cucumber, green peppers and the apple.
- Make the Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette.
- When the chicken is ready either serve it to the side of the salad or slice it up and mix it in with the greens.
- Pour the Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette over the top.
- Serve with the chicken warm or cold.