A Little About The Recipe: Cauliflower Crisp Creole Style Chicken
When I first discovered the health benefits of the paleo lifestyle and decided to retain it as my ongoing lifestyle and diet, a decision I have never regretted should add. I found out almost immediately which foods I would really miss. And guess what! It wasn’t desserts! It was those easy, out-of-a-packet, pre-made weeknight dinners you can throw in an oven like crispy southern fried chicken, crispy chicken burgers, chicken kiev and oven chips. I didn’t miss them because they were easy to make, but because there is just something incredibly satisfying and delicious about biting into chicken which has a crunchy coating. The chips, as it turned out, were no problem at all. Hailing from England, sweet potatoes were non-existent when I grew up. However, the advent of globalisation brought these tasty odd-looking vegetable things from America to the rest of us, and allowed me the discovery of sweet potato fries. So yummy! Thank you, America!
This was as far as I got until a few years ago, there was a craze began of using cauliflower in place of many of the starchy grains. I decided to experiment a bit myself, and this was one of the dishes I made. I cannot claim it’s the easiest of dishes. Getting the cauliflower coating to stay put is a bit tricky. But, for those missing the crispy oven-fried foods, this is well worth the effort, and you won’t regret it.
I Recommend This For: Cauliflower Crisp Creole Style Chicken
As usual, let me start with what I don’t recommend it for, and that is Atkins’ Induction. The total in carbs is less than 6g, which is quite low, but cauliflower is not on the recommended list of foods for Atkins’ Induction, and so this recipe just doesn’t make the cut.
Atkins’ Ongoing and Maintenance should have no problems, however. At less than 6g of total carbs, it should fit well into a dinner of even the most insulin-resistant dieters. To use up a whole cauliflower, consider serving it with Mashed Cauliflower or Keto Goats’ and Cheddar Cheese Omelette, the protein content of the chicken will even out the fat content of either recipe.
Keto dieters might like to try Garlic Butter Mushrooms beside their Cauliflower Crisp Creole Style Chicken. Get everything ready for both recipes in front of you first, then put the mushrooms to start cooking before dipping and frying the chicken. Everything will be done, start to finish in about 30 mins, for a meal of 7.2g of net carbs.
And Here It Is: Cauliflower Crisp Creole Style Chicken
Cauliflower Crisp Creole Style Chicken
- 2x 200g chicken breasts (2x 7oz)
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 65 g cauliflower, finely ground particles (like uncooked cauliflower rice)(1 cup)
- 1 tbsp lard
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp dried ground mustard
- Mix the sweet paprika, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mustard and the cauliflower on a plate.
- Place the beaten egg on another plate.
- Beat the chicken until it is no more than 2cm (3/4 inch) in thickness.
- Dip each chicken breast into the egg one side and the other and then into the cauliflower mix one side and then the other. Use your fingers to put some more cauliflower any sparse areas.
- Melt the lard on a medium high heat (I use number 7) and wait till it starts shimmering.
- Fry the chicken for 5 mins on each side, try not to move the chicken around the pan to much.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove from the heat and serve.