Slow Roasted Pork Shank
Simple pork shanks, slow roasted in the oven.
- 2x 750g pork shanks, bone in (1.5lb each)
- 1/2 tbsp lard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 beef stock cube
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat a fan-assisted oven to 150 deg C (or 300 deg F).
- Dry both pork shanks with kitchen paper.
- Rub all sides of both pork shanks with the salt.
- Melt the lard in a frying pan on the hob on the highest heat.
- When the lard is shimmering add the pork shanks and brown the pork on all sides. You might have to hold it in place with some tongs.
- Place each pork shank into the baking tray.
- Remove the entire frying pan from the hob and let the pan cool a bit.
- Add the water and the beef stock to the frying pan and use them to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, the residual heat should also melt the stock cube.
- Add the stock mix from the frying pan to the baking tray.
- Cover the tray with aluminium foil sealing it tightly on all sides of the tray.
- Cook in the oven for 3 hours without opening.
- Serve with the juices.
Net Carbs: 1.9g
Serving: 345gCalories: 532kcalCarbohydrates: 1.9gProtein: 62gFat: 31gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 2993mgPotassium: 1060mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gVitamin A: 17IUVitamin C: 0mgCalcium: 22mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!