Oven Braised Lamb Shanks for Dinner
Salted and seared lamb shanks roasted slowly in the oven till the meat is soft and juicy.
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1/2 tbsp lard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 150 deg C (300 deg F).
- Pat dry the lamb shanks and rub the salt on all sides.
- Melt the lard in a large pan on the hob.
- Sear all sides of both the lamb shanks to brown. You might need to hold the shanks in place to get them browned on all the sides.
- Remove the shanks and set them aside.
- Let the frying pan cool a little.Pour the chicken stock into the pan and use a fish slice to scrape off any browned bits stuck to the bottom.
- Scrape the chicken stock from the frying pan into a baking tray with high sides.
- Add the browned shanks to the baking tray.
- Cover the baking tray with aluminium foil. Try to make it a closed environment, no holes, and tented so the foil doesn't touch the shanks.
- Place in the oven and bake for 3 hours – no peaking!
- Serve with the juices as a gravy.
Net Carbs: 0.7g
Serving: 290gCalories: 496kcalCarbohydrates: 0.7gProtein: 65gFat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 210mgSodium: 868mgPotassium: 860mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gVitamin A: 0IUVitamin C: 0mgCalcium: 23mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!